Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fun Weekend!


We had a great weekend. And while the weather was chillier(is that a word?) than we would have liked, we had sunshine the whole time so no complaints!


Friday evening, it was pizza and a family movie night. Although, since there was a jumper on the tracks, Bryce was home a little late. Yes, sadly enough, that is how many Japanese people commit suicide here. However, I heard a little tidbit and not sure if it is true but is even more sad. Supposedly, the Japanese transportation department sends a bill to the family of the suicide commiting person for the cost of the delay in trains for the day when their loved one decided to end their lives. How crummy is that? I guess it helps deter people from jumping.


Then, on Saturday morning, we did the webcam with Mimi and Poppa and headed to the zoo for the children's Primary activity. We saw the animals, ate good food and enjoyed the company of the families from church. We had a great time and the Sakura (cherry blossoms) are starting to bloom. By this time next week, I am told the sight will be AMAZING! We are looking forward to it.


Saturday evening, Bryce had a one hour meeting in downtown Sannomiya so while he did that, we tagged along and went to a play place/game area. It had a huge ball pit and all sorts of other activities for the kids to do. Of course, they charged per half hour and per child and I had to pay to just watch as well, but the kids all agreed it was worth it. Finally, we headed to Bikuri Donkey (sp?) for dinner. It is a place that Bryce has gone to before for lunch and wanted to take us. The translation into English is the surprised donkey! We get in and sit down and Isaac asks what the name of the place is. Bryce told him and he said, "What??? I am NOT eating DONKEY!" We had to laugh. Bryce said that we were not going to eat donkey. And while the food was very good and the atmosphere was great, I have to admit that I am not exactly sure what we ate was 100% beef if you know what I mean. But we won't think about that one.
On to Sunday (today). We appeared to be up at the crack of dawn and ready an hour early for church. Because of this, we were able to talk to Grandma and Grandpa Bowman on the webcam this morning, too! We headed to church and had a great day. Because it is the 5th Sunday of the month, the people that work with the children in Primary get to have a day to attend Sunday School while the youth and their leaders teach the children. We had a great day and were able to attend the baptism of a gentleman from Ghana afterwards. It was a bit long (2 hours) by the time all was said and done but we survived and enjoyed our day.
Tomorrow is the first official day of spring break for the children. While we don't have anything big planned until my parents arrive on Thursday, we are planning to take some trips to local parks and hopefully have the weather warm up. I am so glad to have the kids home and hopefully I will still feel that way by the end of the week!

2 comments:

celeste gellenbeck said...

Enjoy the time with your parents.

Sara said...

What? Your parents? Oh Kim, I'm so glad your parents are coming to visit! How fun.