Why is it that in Japan: (a few pet peeves)
1. You can't talk on the cell phone in your car while driving because it is dangerous, but people can rip across two lanes of traffic to park in one of the lanes with their hazard lights on to talk on the cell phone while blocking traffic in that lane.
2. About the cell phone thing....you can't use the cell phone on the bus or train because it is considered rude but isn't that the ONE place that it would be considered safe to use it because you are not blocking traffic or driving a vehicle.
3. In a culture that focuses on being respectful and polite it surprises me that men can pee in the streets (not necessarily inebriated men, yes, even businessmen) at any corner or even out into the street? However, seeing that the bathrooms usually consist of holes in the floor that flush and I have yet to see a single paper towel (sometimes even soap is missing) in a restroom....it is probably more hygenic! (Last week I even saw an elderly man walking down the street in his briefs and a t-shirt...nothing else, I will give him the benefit of possibly being senile but goodness!). Funny note on that....it happened on another Japanese Holiday called Respect for the Aged Day....maybe he was just celebrating his aged-ness a little too much!
4. Another car issue...why is it OK for people to park on the side of the road, blocking traffic, as long as they leave their hazards on to go shop, eat, etc. and NO ONE tickets or stops them, yet it is considered illegal?
5. Why is it beneficial to have wheels that turn all the way around on grocery carts? Obviously someone that is not a mom nor buys many groceries at one time designed them. I love using the big cart when we go to Saty but by the time I get Tanner and all the groceries in there, I am walking lopsided to keep the grocery cart from getting out of control.
Of course, as you can see from my list, I don't have too many nor are they very serious pet peeves which leads me to believe this country is starting to grow on me a little :0)
9 hours ago

1 comment:
I love your comments, I laugh at the differences. In NZ, it was common to see grown men and women grocery shopping without shoes on and the women were even wearing dresses.
Post a Comment