Thursday, September 18, 2008

House Guests

Most of you did not know that we had house guests for 2 weeks. Probably the most unusual part of this is that we didn't know them before they moved in and we didn't even know they were coming until they day that they actually moved in. Yes, I know that we are odd that way and trust me, we even had Isaac questioning our decision but it was a good one (even he now agrees) and all worked out well. My Dad wondered if I never got over my "taking in strays" habit from my younger years and it has just been magnified now ;0) Quite honestly, it kept me busy while trying to go from a full time mom of 3 to having Isaac and Brynnie in school all day. It gave me someone to fuss over until I could function with my two "appendages" being gone.

We met this couple, Eric and Tina, at church on Sunday almost 3 weeks ago. They had gotten married just a little over 2 months ago and they came to Japan to brush up on his Japanese so he could be a translator back in the states. They had no job, no place to live, and nothing but the suitcases of clothing and a futon mattress they had purchased at the Ikea here in Kobe. They had been traveling for a month from the northern most part of Japan down towards Kobe by the train system trying to find employment/housing. They finally ended up in Kobe, and after a much longer story, with us. Even though they are the age of my brother, Bryce and I felt bad for them and I thought, "If these were my kids, would I want someone sane and kind to take them in?" The answer was yes, and while I may not have the sanity part, I think we can handle being kind. So...in they moved to Tanner's room and Tanner moved in with Bryce and I. Eric and Tina are sweet, great with kids, and cleaned up/washed dishes after dinner, and reminded me of my brother and sister-in-law in some ways. I think they probably could have stayed and I wouldn't have minded :0) A funny/yucky story...one of the first nights that they were with us, Tina was eating dinner with us. I had gotten some romaine lettuce at the store that day, washed it, and made a salad. As we are eating, Brynnie all of the sudden squeals, "What IS that thing?" I look over at her plate and there is a green worm, still alive, wiggling in her lettuce. I think everyone was finished eating after that and even though it killed me to do it, we did throw away the rest of that salad. Well, at least we know the lettuce was fresh!

This past Tuesday they moved out and while we miss them, and the kids ask if we can see them daily, it is a bit nice to have things back to normal...i.e. Tanner in his own room and not saying "Dood mornin' dies!" (translation: Good Morning Guys) at 6am, and the kids having their own bathroom back instead of all 5 of us in our bathroom trying to get ready in the mornings. We wish them the best and hope that all goes well with their stay here in Japan for the next year or so.