Friday, September 19, 2008

Animal Lover Gene

Tonight I got a little taste of what I put my parents through all my early years. At one time in our home we had two dogs (one being a mutt I found on the golf course), three kittens (someone had dropped them in front of our house), 3 turtles, 10 fish and a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (don't even ask!). I was in college...yeah I know, we won't even go there. Well, Isaac had asked me after school today if he could have a jar to catch bugs in. I obliged and emptied out the last of the peanut butter, poked holes in the lid, and handed over the jar. He caught a cricket first and watched it for a few minutes and let it go. Then, we found what we think was a katydid. Well, we hit the motherload! Isaac for some reason fell in love with this bug but all along kept saying that he was going to let it go because he did not want it to die. Well, he kept checking on that thing at least once every 5 minutes...we saw it eat, we saw it poop, we saw it do everything. Daddy gets home and we had to tell and show him the spot where the bug ate and the poop, etc. Time came to let it go and he went outside, took off the lid and left it there to fly away. About 20 minutes later he went out to check on it and to bring the jar in and the stupid thing was still in the jar. Isaac comes back in and starts SOBBING holding the jar!! I want to keep it but I don't want it to die. Then, after we FINALLY decided to let it go and Daddy would put it in a tree where it would be safe for the night, Isaac began crying again (actually he never really stopped from the first episode) and said, "I just really need a pet!" Ohhhh....so do I but it just isn't possible right now. Although, Bryce and I conceded that we could get a hermit crab, a stag beetle (ew!) or some fish. Of course, Isaac wanted a lizard or a snake. We will feel out the situation and see what we can do over the next several weeks but it appears that we may be getting a pet of some kind. Bryce kept glaring at me all night and finally after the kids went to bed I asked him why. He replied, "This is all YOUR fault....you passed on your animal loving genes!" So there you have it...my animal loving genes came back to bite me in the butt!

1 comment:

susanb said...

The girls are trying to talk us into more animals right now - being the mean mother that I am I have put my foot down.

You are such a good mother to want to provide this valuable learning opportunity for your children.