Friday, May 13, 2011

Abbreviated feelings about the Tohoku Earthquake/Disasters

After the tea ceremony time, the earthquake in the Tohoku region happened. There are a few days from history that have always stayed fresh as if they had happened yesterday. One being the Challenger shuttle launch that I watched happen live in the 3rd grade, another is 9/11. I think that the day the earthquake and other disasters that happened in Japan that followed will forever be etched in my mind. Such a myriad of feelings and emotions that happened over those weeks. I was still very early in the pregnancy but emotions were already high. Bryce's company was not sending us home (now looking back, there was no reason to) However, at the time with everyone else in the neighborhood leaving, us literally waving to the taxi's as they are pulling away, me worrying that our baby is going to come out glowing with a tail and four arms, and family frantically trying to get us home.....let's just say to put it mildly, it was difficult. We know that the company would never put us in harm's way but we also know that it put a tremendous amount of stress and worry on us and on our families. This is an experience that in the future I will always be able to say, "I remember when that happened...." however in the exact same thought I will continue to pray that Heavenly Father will prevent that fear and terror from coming our way any time again soon.

The school did so much to support and raise funds for the victims of the Tohoku region. It was so great to see everyone come together and show love and compassion for their fellow men. The Japanese people are truly humbling and it was amazing to see the composure, calmness and order that happened no matter where you went. Brynn's teacher had her class of 2nd graders write letters and prayers to the survivors of the Tohoku region. I was there the day that several of the students shared their thoughts with the elementary school before their letters were shipped to the Fukushima area. With tears streaming down my face hurting for these people and this country that we have come to call home, I was so glad to be able to hear these heartfelt prayers and wishes. What an experience from the mouths of babes!

No comments: