Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Stinky first day of school

No...it wasn't stinky because something had an odor....it is stinky because I feel as if I have lost two of my appendages. Tanner lost his two best friends in the world and we are both sad!! Isaac started school on August 25th. He is starting 2nd grade...where does the time go? I swear we just brought him home from the hospital a few months ago! Anyways, he was VERY nervous the night before and expressed his fears. He cried and was upset but this has happened each year so I knew what to expect. What I didn't expect was my strong emotions, as well. Isaac's biggest worry was that, "Mommy, I will just miss you so much!" He hit the nail on the head with that statement. Fighting back tears myself, I looked at Bryce and said, "If he tells me that one more time, I am home schooling!" Needless to say, when I arrived home from exercising at 7am the next morning, Isaac was up, dressed and working on his workbooks that I had brought with us from the states for his summer work. He told me it was because he wanted to be ready for school. I cried after the bus left but not nearly as much as usual. In Indiana, we had our own bus stop but here, we have 32 kids on the buses just from our neighborhood and we all go to the same bus stop....with all their parents standing there.... I couldn't sob nearly as much as in previous years! He LOVED his first day! LOVES his teacher! There are 18 in his class and only 1 class for second grade and only 5 boys in his class but he LOVES that too, because they are already inseparable. I am so happy that he is loving school!
Brynnie was also very nervous about starting school. She has had a "phase-in" period which has been beneficial for both Tanner and I and Brynn. Her first day, she went later in the morning and only for 1 1/2 hours. Same yesterday. Today, she got to ride the bus and will be there for 3 hours and same for tomorrow. Monday, she will actually go on the bus and stay until the end of the day 3:15, and then ride the bus home. I am sad that she is there all day and I always swore I would NEVER put my child in all day kindergarten but I am OK with this. It is OK because 1. She is ready for it and while I love her, she is a busy body and will drive me crazy at home all day. 2. It is a GREAT program. She does Montessori with 3-5 year olds in the morning....has lunch and recess....then has an actual kindergarten classroom in the afternoon. She loves both her Montessori teacher and her kindergarten teacher and is excited to go to school every day. While I am thrilled that both of my children are receiving a top notch education and are loving their classes and teachers, I am also hurting because I miss my buddies. Tanner and I are already involved in 2 play groups and he is my shopping buddy now, but it just isn't the same. We miss our kids. School STINKS!!

3 comments:

susanb said...

Yes - I remember Gabi's first day of kindergarten. I followed the bus to school, took her picture getting off the bus then went home and cried. Right then and there I knew I wasn't going to have that problem again. When Emily started kindergarten I was her teacher!!! I do feel your pain!!

leftygirl said...

AWWWW! It'll get easier!

Sara said...

It's no fun being the Mom!

And just when I think your kids can't possibly be any cuter, you post new pictures.

We miss you!