Sunday, May 31, 2009

We wear underwear!

For those of you uncomfortable with potty talk, this blog may not be for you!

Hooray! Tanner is officially potty trained. Woo-hoo! He has been going, well, poo-poos in the toilet for months but unfortunately, the potty thing just wasn't happening. I blame myself mostly. Honestly, it is sometimes more the mom being trained than the child. It is not easy to remember every 20-30 minutes to check with the child to see if he needs to go to the bathroom and here in Japan, it is a hole in the floor, not a toilet, yes, even in the women's bathrooms. This really shouldn't be a problem for a boy but when he is used to going on a toilet with a toilet seat with a guard on it, standing over a hole in the floor can be a little intimidating. Not only that but most restrooms do not have hand soap and none have paper towel unless it is a fairly "American Friendly" place. I.E. our country club and church. Costco maybe, too.

Anyways, we told him yesterday at church that if he kept his diaper dry the whole morning, we would let him wear his Lightning McQueen underwear for the afternoon after his nap. I can get that kid to do ANYTHING if it involves Lightning McQueen! Well, he stayed dry and then with underwear on yesterday afternoon and evening, continued to stay dry and told us when he needed to go.

He even woke up at 1am and called for me. I went in to see what was wrong and he said he needed to go potty. I told him to just go in his diaper (I know, but hey, I was tired and he is still in his crib...but that is another story!). He looked at me like I was crazy and refused so off we went to the potty at 1am. This morning, he was headed to preschool because he will miss on Friday. I wanted to put him in a diaper just in case but he refused. I agreed to let him go in his underwear but I thought for sure he would have an accident. I even warned his teachers. To my utter amazement, when I came to pick him up, he was still in his original clothes and had actually told his teachers two different times that he needed to go potty. Yea, Tanner!

We are happy! Anyone need any really big leftover Japanese diapers? :0)

1 comment:

Robinson Family said...

This is great news! I put Peter in underwear today and decided the pull-ups are just making him lazy. Here's to hoping we both have a good week with potty training. It sounds like Tanner has it figured out.