Sunday, November 9, 2008

Toilet Talk

OK....today I am most grateful for heated toilet seats. They are commonplace in Japan. At first, it kind of freaked me out and I unplugged all of our toilets when we arrived. First, it was hotter than Hades and we didn't need to add more heat and second, I frankly worried about electrocution. Water, electricity, bare bottoms, you do the math. Anyways, today it has been the coldest day since we have lived in Japan. We were quite cold. We pulled out the wool socks, dressed in layers, and turned on the heat. We are beginning to discover just how truly awful the insulation is in these houses. Anyways, Bryce mentioned this morning after putting Tanner on the toilet and having him almost jump off that perhaps it was time. I must admit I was skeptical but agreed and we plugged in and turned on the heated toilet seats.

THEY ARE THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!!

I have a funny feeling that all of us will be spending more time in the bathroom toasting our buns!

On to more toilet news....Tanner is working on potty training. Or should I say, Mommy is working on training herself to get Tanner to the toilet on a schedule. He is so proud of himself! Normally, I don't even attempt to start toilet training this early....he is not even 2 1/2 yet but he is the only 2 year old in the neighborhood not potty trained and beginning to notice that fact. His favorite thing is that he gets a gummy bear each time he goes potty on the toilet. The funny thing is that he doesn't actually chew it but puts it in his cheek pouch like a wad of chewing tobacco and sucks on it forever. One day I found him with it in his cheek forty five minutes after he had gotten it. Anyways, we are incredibly proud and I am breathing a little easier because we are almost out of US diapers. We have only been using them at night for the past several months because the Japanese diapers just don't cut it overnight. Thankfully, now that he goes potty before bed, he can make it all night without wetting through the Japanese diapers and this makes us all a lot happier! Yea, Tanner!

No comments: