Well, we finally got the news that we knew would be coming. Honestly, things have been so busily crazy since we found out that we haven't had a chance to post. We knew that sometime in the next year, we would be leaving Japan and we assumed we would be heading home. Apparently Heavenly Father had a different plan in store for us :0)
The Bowman's will be moving to LONDON, ENGLAND!!!!
Mixed feelings all around....sad to leave Japan, sad we aren't going to the US, but shockingly all of us are also feeling excited for some new adventures. We will be packing up the house the last of May or first of June. Then, we will fly out of Japan and head to the US for 5 weeks or so. After getting spoiled rotten there, we are going to Jolly Old England just in time for the Olympics (if we can even find flights for that time of year.)
Bryce will be traveling a lot with this new job....at least but hopefully no more than 50%. Isaac put it best when he said, "So Daddy is going to miss half our lives?" OUCH! He has responsibility over Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Most of the people he will work with are based in Dubai. We turned down Dubai...twice!...for several reasons. One, it is FURTHER from family. Two, no church that we know of there. Three, we heard that it is not so great for older kids. Four, with Bryce traveling that much, we were uneasy with the kids and I being in that region if something did go awry(if you don't know where it is...it is a safe city but in the middle of the Middle East...google it!) The other option was Hong Kong. I am grateful that Bryce's boss fought to get us based out of London. We are closer to family and we can speak the language (for the most part!). Tanner's favorite....we can even get Nutri-Grain bars! Seriously, he should be the spokesperson for Kellogg's!
We found out about three weeks ago. That following week, Eric and Lesley were here for a week to visit. Then, I was sick and Bryce traveled for a week. This week is the first chance I have had to post. First week of May we head to England (just Bryce, Cade and I) to find a school, house, etc. This week the movers come to assess the situation (and BOY are they in for a situation!) Things are moving so quickly!
The process to get the kids in to an International School is brutal...much worse than college applications I KID YOU NOT! In fact, I am half tempted to keep all of the info we have collected and re use it when they DO apply to college. Bryce and I have a 4 page application including an essay about EACH child. Then, we have to fill out a separate form for Tanner as well. Each child had to fill out their own application/recommendation form for themselves ranging from just a picture drawn from Tanner to a 4 page form for Isaac including an essay and answers to questions like: What three words describe yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, why should we accept you to the school. Uh, DUH, the company is paying you money to accept me so why not :0) All of that is just our part...then each child had to have two recommendations from teachers at the school and they needed report cards and standardized test results from the past three years. AND THAT WAS ONLY FOR 1 SCHOOL....we applied to two!
Once we learn whether the kids have been accepted or not, then we can choose a place to live. The schools are about a half hour apart without traffic so it is not like we can choose a house in one area but attend school in the other area. I really don't want to be in the car for 2 hours every day. Soooo...we are hoping that we find out which school accepts them by the time Bryce and I arrive for house hunting.
INSANE, CRAZY, and OUT OF CONTROL! But I survived it before, I am quite sure I can do it again! My theme song for the first move to Japan was Rodney Atkins, "If you're going through H@$#". This time it is Kelly Clarkson's, "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)". We pray that I do end up stronger and not in the nuthouse!
9 hours ago


2 comments:
We're very excited for you. I'm sure you'll be relieved when the process of getting ready and the move are over! What great adventures lie ahead for the Bowmans!
We're very excited for you. I'm sure you'll be relieved when the process of getting ready and the move are over! What great adventures lie ahead for the Bowmans!
Post a Comment