Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shikoku

 The following weekend, we headed to Shikoku which is another 'main' island that makes up Japan.  We had won another hotel stay (seriously, 4 in 4 years is not a bad average if you ask me!).  We packed up the kids and headed to Awaji Island for the night.  The next morning, we drove over the Naruto Bridge and Whirlpools and headed to Ritsurin Park and Garden.  It is one of the 3 most beautiful gardens in Japan.  That being said, we were not disappointed.  It was gorgeous!

On a side note, my dear husband pointed out to me as I was telling him about it being one of the 3 most beautiful gardens that EVERY place and EVERY thing in Japan is one of the three 'most'.  I had never noticed this before but after he said that, I did realize that either it was one of the 'most beautiful' or 'fastest' or 'biggest', etc.  I now realize that either this society exaggerates a bit to make you want to see or do these things or we are in a truly amazing place....it may even bit a little bit of both!








We had hoped to head to see some vine bridges and do a few other things but unfortunately we battled the rain all day and found that we would be in the car for a LOOooong time.  So, after we braved the rain at Ritsurin Garden we headed to the Otsuka Art Museum.  It was quite the place.  They had replicas of all the great works of art in one building.  The Sistine Chapel was actually reproduced on the ceiling of a church like building (and there was even a wedding being held there that day).  We saw the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper (which I have actually seen in person!)  The whole place pretty much freaked Isaac out.  As we all know, many great works of art were paintings of women...not necessarily always clothed.  In one area, it must have been a tribute to naked women everywhere...Isaac was instead tortured.  By about halfway through the museum, he was standing in one corner asking to play angry birds.  Tanner was right there with him.  Brynn and I however, really enjoyed the museum and I can't wait for her and I to go to the ballet and musicals in England together!





One of the neatest things in the museum that the kids enjoyed was this robot named Mr. Art.  You could walk over to him and he would scan your face.  Then, he would search all of the works of art in his database and show you which work of art you most resembled.  Thankfully, none of us came up looking like a horse or dog :0)  The picture above was the one Brynn looked most like.  The one below it was the one Tanner looked most like.  We couldn't find Isaac's in the museum.
 After that, we headed across Akashi Bridge towards home and even though we braved the yucky rainy day, it was not all in vain.  We had the chance to see a beautiful rainbow on our way home!




No comments: