Our doctor speaks decent English and works at the children's hospital. The nurses and staff there do not, though, so we knew this would be an interesting day or two. First, in Japan, if they put a child under anesthesia, they make them stay in the hospital for 3 days. Because of our begging and pleading though, they agreed to do a 'Day Surgery'. Which actually turns into two full days. On Weds., Isaac and Bryce had to report to the hospital for a 'check-up', blood test, tour of the facility, question and answer session, and then meet with the anesthesiologist. During this portion, they practice putting the mask on the child, he had to watch a video, and they got the instructions of what to bring and do.
The list of items Isaac had to bring:
-Pajamas with open front (they do not put them in a gown...you wear your own jammies during the surgery)
-Drinks for after they wake up (they give you NOTHING...you have to provide everything.)
-Vomit bag (for if the child throws up after they wake up)
-Towels (to clean up the vomit if the child throws up)
So....we packed up the items, dropped the two middle kiddos off at a friends house and took Isaac and Cade to the hospital on Thursday morning. Both Bryce and I went because I couldn't leave the baby and I didn't want my other baby to be by himself. We arrived at the hospital and a woman came out to greet us. She said she was a Music Therapist. We thought this was nice. She said she didn't know what kind of music Isaac would like but she would try to find something familiar. We just assumed it was a CD or radio. In Japan, they have one parent come back and stay with the child until they are out. Bryce went back with Isaac (I don't think I could have handled it. Bryce said that they got back there and asked him Isaac's name and what procedure he was having. They had about 7 people in the room. Then, the nurses, anesthesiologist and Dr. all had to repeat and confirm. It was a bit surreal. Next thing, Isaac lays down in the bed and music starts playing. Bryce looks over and THERE IS THE MUSIC THERAPIST PLAYING A PIANO IN THE OPERATING ROOM!!!!!!!! She was playing "It's a small world". What a riot! This woman continued to play during Isaac's recovery period, as well. My Dad said, "If only they weren't paying her to play the music, perhaps they could afford to provide a gown, drinks and barf bag for their patients."
After the surgery, they told Bryce that Isaac would be out for at least an hour but he was just to wait with him. Bryce came to the door to get me so I could go in and just see him. The recovery room and bed where Isaac was was only about 10 feet away from me but behind a soundproof door. Bryce took the baby and I went in to see Isaac. He was OUT, but I leaned down and kissed him on the cheek and whispered that I loved him. He jumps up in the bed, pushed me away and started to stand up to get out of the bed. I had my arms around him trying to get him to stay down but was not strong enough. I started yelling for ANYONE but no one came. I pushed the nurse call button but apparently it was not working. Finally, he laid back down and I ran and got Bryce. He came in and later shared that Isaac swung at him, kicked him a few times and even bared his teeth and growled. Needless to say, I hope that Isaac does not have to have any procedures done when his is in high school....I think they will have to strap him down if he does :0)
After that, they made him stay for a couple of hours to make sure he could keep down his juice and that he was awake enough. I went home to get the other kids from our neighbor and to eat. Bryce called about 1:30 and said that they told him Isaac could leave. I got everyone in the car and headed to the hospital. I got about 5 minutes away and Bryce called back and said that he got Isaac out to the waiting room and then Isaac vomited everywhere. They were still trying to send him home though. Bryce asked for some help and they handed him a box of tissues (and we aren't talking the Kleenex or Puffs kind). Bryce took Isaac back in to the recovery room and had him lay back down. I left the other three in the car in the parking lot with my cell to call if the baby woke up and ran up to help Bryce get Isaac down to the car. They finally brought us a wheelchair (after Bryce practically demanded one) and we were able to wheel him down. We were surprised that then they said we had to pay for the surgery before we could leave. I took Isaac out to the car and then we had to wait for them to get our bill together. Finally, a half hour later, Bryce paid the bill and we were able to leave for home. Isaac was fine to eat by the time we got home and now is almost completely pain free and recovered. What an experience though and hopefully one we won't have to repeat while here!
Be careful when asking for Socialized Medicine, America....you might not like what you get!

1 comment:
what a crazy ride!!! Glad everything worked out but what a mess (literally)
Post a Comment