Saturday, August 28, 2010

Christmas in July...Part 1

It really was like Christmas in July....we were able to see almost everyone we loved (unfortunately not the Bowman side, though), we were able to each so much yummy food and we bought TONS of clothing, shoes, and supplies. How much more like Christmas can you get?
We arrived in Indiana on June 30th. Other than a cat peeing, yowling and spraying in the seat behind us and a little boy screaming, "I'm tired! I want my Grandma!" for three hours STRAIGHT...and it wasn't even one of my own...we arrived. We were thrilled to see Poppa when he picked us up from the airport in Chicago. Tanner was looking outside the window as we were leaving the airport and he said, "Wow, Mom! There sure are a lot of English people here!" We had to laugh!

We arrived to their house late that night but just as excited to see Mimi and give her lots of hugs, too. From that point on, our trip was a blur of doctor's appts., visiting family and friends, eating, more doctor's appts., and shopping. We were able to have a small reunion of some of the Gillooly family at Eric and Lesley's new house and we made it all the way up to Kewaunee, WI to visit my Grandma and my Dad's side of the family, too. While we were home in the states for a month, it truly went by too fast and we weren't ready to come back.
Here are just a few of our favorite moments this summer:
Fireworks in Mimi and Poppa's backyard. Other than Poppa trying to set Daddy on fire and Brynn burning her finger, we had a blast.
You can tell she just wasn't too sure about the whole fireworks thing
Fourth of July night after Poppa, Daddy, and Eric did our own personal fireworks display.

We loved going on Poppa's boat out on Lake Michigan. We had a perfect day and loved the sand and swimming!
Fun-due instead of Fondue. My mom started this when Eric and I were little....we would skewer meat on the forks and boil it in oil. My brother and I loved it so we called it Fun-due and this year, I felt my kids could handle it. We did have a few near misses but not too bad considering we had six people around one pot of boiling oil while using sharp forks and raw meat!
Working in the yard with Mimi!

Swimming at a friend/work associate of my Dad's swimming pool. They were gone for the day so we were able to swim in their personal backyard pool....talk about wonderful!
Tanner learned how to swim without floaties or any other assistance this summer. He is now officially a fish and we can't keep him out of the water!
The highlight of the trip was fishing with Poppa. No idea how many hours my Dad spent baiting hooks, taking fish off, cleaning up fish guts and waiting for something to bite but THANKS DAD....we love you!
Do you not love this face???? By the end of our time in WI she was yanking them off the hook faster than Isaac but this first time with the fish next to her...she freaked a little!
The kids at the Kewaunee Zoo with my Aunt Sue.

Jet skiiing was another favorite activity. I haven't been on a jet ski for many years. Reason being, my sweet husband threw me off the first one I had ever been on. I can attest that his two oldest children are not any better and are speed demons like their father!

Family, family, family! We loved that we were there in time to celebrate my Grandma Brusda's birthday. I won't tell her age (that would be rude) but I just hope that I can be as healthy, active, and fun as her when I get older. She is quite a lady!

No comments: