So those of you who knew me in my high school years, you knew that I used to long jump. I was in no way what you would call "gifted" but I held my own. I went to regionals a few times and usually placed in all the local meets. I enjoyed it!
This past weekend, we were practicing for the annual Sports Day that the kids have at Marist. It is quite the event....they rent out a stadium, there are ribbons, medals, etc. and it is an all day event. Last year was our first year to attend and compete. The kids had not clue what to do or how to do it. They both still did fairly well and Isaac even medaled because he was the 2nd best boy in the 2nd grade. However, neither child had any idea how to start running when the gun went off and neither could long jump worth a hoot. Bryce and I thought we would practice and help prepare the kids a little better this year. I mean seriously, I can't have children that don't know at least a little about long jumping.
Saturday, we headed out to the yard. We tried to think of a place that would be more suited for jumping and landing but no luck. We put a stick to mark the take off point and Bryce started explaining to the children what they needed to do. He did a great job explaining and the kids went across the yard and took off. Neither one understood what he had said to do so neither really did it correctly.
After watching this quietly for a few minutes I said, "Watch out, let me show you how its done."
I'm 34.....34! And haven't long jumped since I was 18. That is a long time and three babies ago. I don't know what I was thinking!
I take off my coat, take my sunglasses off and my cell out of my pocket and go across the yard. I remember thinking, "Now, I don't have sand to land in so I don't want to go full out but I should be able to go half speed and be OK." So I rock back and forth a few times and start my half run across the yard. I hit the stick and fly. I am thinking, "Wow, this is going better than I thought it would!" My arms flew, my legs were going, it was all good. I guess I didn't take into account that the landing might be a little worse than I had planned for. I don't remember the full landing other than there was a buckle of the knee, a hard land to the ground and a roll.
I biffed it....BIG TIME!
I stayed on my back not moving for a split second before I saw Bryce and the kids leaning over me with horrified looks on their faces. Immediately, they were asking me if I was ok. I couldn't answer because I was laughing so hard. I was snorting I was laughing so hard. I am pretty sure they thought I had hit my head by that point. They helped me up and I was fine other than grass hanging out of my hair and grass stains and dirt all over my jeans.
I was fine...not hurt in the least....that is until this morning. I think sometime in the middle of the night I was hit by a mack truck! This poor old body is not meant to long jump in its current state. Bryce described it best when he said, "When you see a baby giraffe fall, you worry and feel bad for it but it is a whole other thing when you see the mama giraffe go down." Hey, at least he didn't use elephants!
However, I think I may have at least taught the children what not to do when long jumping.
9 hours ago

1 comment:
I shouldn't laugh.....but......hahahahahahah. I have a great mental picture now!
Post a Comment