Monday, September 14, 2009

BBQ in Japan

So a couple of weeks ago, we were treated to our first Japanese BBQ. Our friends, Machiko and Takeo, and their three boys, invited us to a park for a BBQ. We met her through other mutual friends and now she teaches Isaac and Brynn Japanese while I teach her two oldest boys English. She is so great and I have had fun getting to know her better. We were not allowed to bring anything other than drinks but I brought some good ol' American homemade cookies along, too. We were expecting to sit at the park by one of those charcoal grills that are bolted into the ground. Oh...not so my friend. We were in for a treat!


We arrived and Machiko and Takeo started unloading their car. I noticed that Takeo brought out a cart. I wondered why we had a need for a cart but soon found out. He had loaded that thing completely and then we each grabbed an armful, as well, and walked to the picnic site. We found an empty picnic table and large dirt patch once we got into the park. From that point on, Bryce and I sat in awe. We watched them put up a tent for the baby, put up a tent to protect us from the sun, pull out a portable grill, unpack a table and chairs, and bring out all manner of food related items. Machiko made us Yakisoba and fried rice while Takeo began grilling the meats. We had chicken, sausages, strips of beef and vegetables while the kids ran around like mad hunting cicada and talking to the Japanese fisherman at a pond nearby.


Isaac with a lizard he found....had a little mishap and lost its tail but fine otherwise!

We had a great time. And honestly, we were only there for just 4 hours of fun. We truly were humbled by all the trouble they went to for us for such a short period of time. I must admit, this
family knows how to BBQ in style!

Tanner watching Machiko's little guy sleep

No comments: