Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas Letter 2008

I feel really airheaded and silly but I addressed all of our Christmas letters (almost all) in Hawaii while laying out in the sun by the pool. I know, don't you feel bad for me? :0) While I enjoyed myself immensely, I know that I was missing many addresses and so sent the rest of them from Japan when we got home. Or so I thought. I think the sun may have fried my brain because I cannot remember who I sent letters to via my parents in the States, who I sent letters to via Japan, and who I didn't send letters to at all. We will call it a momentary lapse but now I feel bad. So, to all of those that I may not have sent our Christmas letter to, I apologize. I attached it below so that all could read. We had a cute picture and border but you will unfortunately just have to imagine. Love to you all! And next year, I promise I won't address them in Hawaii....notice I didn't say that I wouldn't be on a beach though! I have told Bryce that if I don't get to be with family at Christmas next year, it has GOT to be somewhere warm!

Hello to all of our family and loved ones at this very special time of year!

We are very grateful to be in good health and to be enjoying our time in Japan this year as we close 2008 and begin 2009. We feel humbled at all the Lord has blessed us with this year. We love this time of year and the opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. May this letter find you in good health and spirits and enjoying this wonderful Christmas season!

As most of you know, we have had a rather exciting 2008. In mid-February, we were offered an international assignment with Lilly in Japan. We were not able to share our news with family (including our own children) until mid-March….a week before we left to find a home in Japan. We put our home on the market, started talking to people about selling our cars and hoped for the best. Our home sold in a matter of weeks, cars much the same. We moved into a furnished apartment and Bryce left for Japan in late April. We joined him at the end of May. We found a home in Japan that we love...we have a view of the ocean and a view of the mountains from most rooms in the home. The children’s international school is quite good and we have made many friends and enjoy our neighborhood. While it has been a whirlwind year, we realize God’s hand in the whole process and are grateful for this experience.

Bryce—Bryce is very busy with work. There was just a large reorganization that he was responsible for. It has been a stressful couple of months for him but he is doing well. He has also had the opportunity to travel a bit. He has been to Singapore, China and Tokyo so far with trips planned to Australia, India, and Hong Kong early in 2009. He is again working with the Young Men in church which is what he loves. But there are only 3 boys here in Japan which has been a challenge. Besides that, he really enjoys living in Japan. His Japanese is coming along nicely and he has eaten MANY strange and interesting things. A few examples: stingray, eel, jellyfish, squid, cow tongue, sushi, and other things we probably aren’t even aware of. He is more daring when it comes to food than the children and I. We stick to Mc Donald’s!

Kim- I am still adjusting to life in Japan. It appears I am the only one though. While business is business for Bryce, and the children speak English at school and use books from the US, I am the one dealing with attempting to understand, speak, and read Japanese daily. I have been taking Japanese lessons and that helps. Of course, talking to family on webcam is always a highlight for me and planning our next visits with family always helps, too! Tanner and I also have joined the neighborhood play group. I have met some great women here in the neighborhood and really enjoy meeting people from all over the world. I have enjoyed sightseeing around Japan and am amazed by the history and beauty of this culture. I have attended a few outings and functions and I am also one of the room moms in Isaac’s class. I stay busy with Tanner during the days and with Bryce’s longer working hours and occasional travels, I am busy putting out the fires here at home in the evenings. I am very comfortable with our life here in the neighborhood….now if I could just feel that way once I leave the driveway :0)

Isaac-Isaac turned 8 this year…we truly can’t believe it. In our church, children are not baptized until the age of 8 and so for the Christmas holiday, we have joined my family and Bryce’s parents in Hawaii for this momentous occasion! We are very proud of him and the bright, funny young man he has become. He seems to have more of my Dad’s personality and loves to make people laugh by doing silly things and saying funny comments. He has quite the sense of humor. He still continues to love Star Wars and Legos but has also found a love of being outside with the neighborhood boys. In school, he used to love math but has decided that science is his favorite this year. He has a great teacher from the US and she really pushes him hard. If you ask him, he will tell you that school is too hard. He has yet to show us that with his papers, though!

Brynn- Brynnie is still all girl, but she holds her own if someone gets in her way. We continue to say that she is so stubborn and headstrong that as long as we get her on the right path, she will do just fine. She is taking dance classes at our country club this year and enjoys that. This summer, she also taught herself how to swim underwater without her floaties and without holding her nose. She is in Montessori classes in the morning and then has afternoon kindergarten. While it is a busy, full day for her, she loves it! She came home the first day of school and yelled at Bryce and me because she didn’t know how to read yet. Apparently here, things move a little faster. She has taught herself to read and add and subtract and does very well with it. Her teacher says that she is always a good example to the other children and is a good helper. We are so proud of her!

Tanner- Tanner is the loudest, busiest, and craziest child of the three. He has no fear (of being lost, hurt, in danger, etc.,) If it has wheels, is a ball or moves, he loves it (which you can imagine how much Bryce loves that!). He sings “We Will Rock You” (yep, the song from Queen) and gets upset if he can’t “Disco Dance”. If he were our first child, we would probably already have had him in for counseling. I mean seriously, what 2 year old sings “We Will Rock You”? He will jump off of the ottoman onto the couch and body slam whoever might be laying there….we just pray it is always Daddy. His love of Japan consists of the ocean and Akashi Bridge. As long as he can see one of those two things, we are good. He is also my blankie/teddy boy. He has a blanket and an old Teddy bear of my brother’s that are his best friends. We never leave home without them. Even though I am quite sure he is going to make me prematurely gray, he is a lot of fun!

We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Sending our love,
THE BOWMAN’S

1 comment:

Cynde said...

that is funny. Brennen sings we are the champions but usually after he goes to the bathroom. What are you going to do with little boys. They are a hoot. I am so jealous of your Hawaiian vacation. Good to hear things are well.