Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Legacy Gala

Each year, the children's school holds a big fundraiser.  When I say big....I mean BIG!!!!!  This year, it was a dinner, live and silent auction, followed by a dance.  The theme was black and white but I had this navy blue dress that I loved so I decided to go with that.  Bryce rented a tux, I had my hair done up and we got ourselves all gussied up for the evening.  


  
We left in our 'Bowmanmobile' to pick up two other couples and we were off to Beaumont Estate for an evening of fun.
 As we walked into the hotel, we were handed an auction booklet along with a Blackberry looking device.  Yes, it was all automated.  I am telling you, they go big here...there is no going home :0)

After looking over the auction items and deciding what we wanted to bid on, we headed to our table and the remaining couples we attended with.  We took pictures with everyone and sat down to eat.

 Once the auction started, people wasted no time bidding on the items they wanted.  We joined in on the fun and within 15 minutes, the total was:

Yes, people, that is almost $40,000 US dollars.  And no, I did not mistype the number of 0's.  For those of you that know us to be penny pinchers, you can imagine our reaction!

Money was in great supply...amazed at the items that brought in so much money.  Needless to say, we were out of the bidding fairly early however, still had a great time.  Probably the most shocking moment to me, was when a gentleman stood up and said he was going to 'donate' £10,000 to the school and wanted to know who would match his donation.  No one else accepted that challenge!

By the end of the evening, as well as adding on the ticket sales, the school raised £115,000.  In US dollars approx. $180,000+.  Only about $300 of it was ours :0)  The money will be put to good use as they are building a science lab, improving the technology, adding on to the playground and other fantastic educational items.  We are proud to be part of a school where thankfully the parents participate and genuinely want the best for their kids.  Having deep pockets can't hurt!




No comments: