Sunday, May 13, 2012

Top 10 things I will miss about Japan

Oh the sadness...these are just the top ten which don't even begin to scratch the surface.  I never thought 4 years ago that I would be sad to leave this place seeing as Bryce had to practically drag me over here.  I thought I would be celebrating leaving....we are celebrating only it is bittersweet.  We treasure the memories we have made, the people we have come to call family, and the place that we have called home for the past four years.  It is an amazing culture and society that I am sure I will never completely comprehend but have been honored to be a part of, nevertheless.

So here goes (I hope I have enough tissues!):
10.  Some of the food....of course, it is all the fried foods I love, but they are YUM!  Yakisoba, Okonomiyaki, Yakitori, tofu wrapped rice, Japanese rice, Japanese curry, cream stew....Mmmm...I think I need to go and get a snack!
9.  The cleanliness of Japan.  They take pride in their country and it shows.  The floors in the airport are cleaner than my kitchen table I kid you not! (Of course, that says WAY too much about my cleanliness)
8.  The safety.  Japan is one of the safest places I have ever seen or heard about.  The kids run free and check in sometimes.  We don't have to worry about kidnapping, al Qaeda, etc.  It has been a lovely place to raise our children.
7.  Beautiful spring and fall weather
6.  Beauty of the country....we have seen amazing gardens, temples, shrines.  Unbelievable sites.
5.  The amazing Japanese people.  Here I am, a foreigner who hasn't learned the language and yet they will try to help me endlessly.  They also showed grace and dignity in the face of horrible disasters and are an example to us all.
4.  Playing charades, pictionary and any other game to get the store clerks, etc. to understand what I am trying to find or ask for.
3.  Sakura (cherry blossom) Season.  IT IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER
2.  Being able to call down to the club and ask for help with anything....from a broken appliance to making hotel reservations.  They have been WONDERFUL!
1.  The best and most missed thing:  Our friends and loved ones here in Japan.  Oh, how we will miss them and it hurts to even think about saying goodbye.  We have met and made wonderful friends from all over the world.  May we just say thank you, we love you, and pray that some way and somehow our paths will cross again!

1 comment:

Robinson Family said...

Kim, it's been so fun catching up on all your adventures on your blog. I'm excited about how much you've grown to love the Japanese culture and the wonderful experiences for your kids. Makes me think harder about taking a foreign experience, if it ever came. I can't wait to hear more about what is in store in England. If only we could come see you.... Sending hugs for all the hard days ahead saying goodbye!