Sunday, July 31, 2011

It IS a baby boy....and a BIG one!

(We find this picture so hilarious! It is our most recent. This picture was taken very soon after the kids had come into the examination room, Isaac and Tanner had been arguing, Tanner was still crying, Isaac was still grumpy. Brynn was whining about something or other and then the doctor puts the ultrasound on. This is the picture we see. It is almost like, "Heaven help me, what have I gotten myself into???!!!" The more the doctor tried to get him to uncover his face, the tighter he gripped on and the closer his arms got to his head. SO funny!)

I had a doctor's appt. the day after we got back from the U.S. Other than my weight being a bit more than the doctor would have liked (HELLOOOO, I was home in the land of the free and the home of the fast food, Mimi's awesome cooking, and junk food galore!), I had a clean bill of health. It had been 7 weeks since I had seen a doctor, so I was relieved. Two weeks later (just last week) I went in again for my normal ultrasound and appt. My weight was much better (no more of Mom's good cooking or U.S. restaurant food) and things still looked good.

This time I found some things humorous!

First, I had to have an EKG...an EKG!!! Apparently, in Japan, they feel that it is important to make sure that your heart can handle giving birth. My thought was, "It's a little late for that now!" :0)

Second, the doctor is very concerned that the baby is still in breech position. I am only 30 weeks pregnant. I am thinking I still have some time. He said that I need to sleep on my right side because of the position the baby is in, it will encourage him to turn to head down. I had told the doctor that I have been suffering from some pretty bad heartburn...worst I have ever experienced. I then told the doctor that I have always been told to sleep on my left side in previous pregnancies because it helps my kidneys and digestion (preventing infections and helping with heartburn). I asked him, "Is this true?" He replied, "Yes.....but sleep on your right side." I got a laugh out of that one.

We have found now that our baby is quite big. I don't know when to be concerned and when to just figure it is one of my typical Bowman Boys but the baby according to the measurements of the ultrasound is at 4 lbs. According to U.S. scales....he should only be around 3 lbs. now. I truly hope I am not going to be breaking any records with this one so hopefully he will slow down a bit.

Another thing I find interesting here in Japan....in a few weeks, it is normal course of treatment for the mother to come in weekly for a non-stress test. HOWEVER, I have never had my belly measured, listened to the heartbeat (since the first few appts....they just look at it on the ultrasound each time I go in) nor have they done the gestational diabetes test. I have, however, been tested for every possible tranmitted or communicable disease and at least twice on some of them, which I find interesting.

I figure this is a whole new world for both Bryce and I. Hold on....it's going to be a wild ride!

1 comment:

Sara said...

How funny to have such different ideas of tests/procedures.

One thing's for sure -- he's a lucky little boy to be a Bowman!