Thursday, October 14, 2010

Next up....Mini-Sports Day

In Japan, in October, they have a national holiday called Sports Day. Tanner and I were able to attend the kids' Mini-Sports Day at Marist on October 1st. The Montessori Program that Tanner is in gets to participate in the spring Sports Day but in the fall, they just get to watch and cheer everyone on. The kids played several different games....Four Square, dodgeball, soccer, and tug of war were a few of the favorites. I think my favorite game was when the parents were able to compete in a tug of war. The Sohei moms and the Samurai moms against the Ninja and the Kensai moms. It was a riot and even though many of the Japanese Moms were dressed to the nines and in heels, we all participated. Our team won and I think the kids think I am crazy. They couldn't believe that I would get so competitive :0)

The kids in the school are all given one of four different teams that they are on for the entire time they attend Marist. Both Isaac and Brynn are on the Sohei team and their color is royal blue. Sohei won the Mini-Sports Day! We were thrilled! The kids participate in many different contests and activities throughout the year and the points are tallied for their school team. It is ongoing and is a fun way to have a competitive spirit in school. It includes first grade all the way to the seniors in the high school. It was a great day with great weather. Tanner and I are proud of the kids!

No comments: