Anytime Bryce leaves on business travel we are guaranteed three things.
1. a natural disaster somewhere in the world (Chilean earthquake this week, Haitian earthquake before, our typhoon...you name it, he's been in the air!)
2. One or more of us are sick when he leaves. This time it was Brynn, Isaac and I but Tanner was sick starting the week before he left. We have been to the doctor 3 times in one week.
3. A major injury, surgery, etc. (last time, it was when I fell down the stairs)
Soooo...who would expect anything different this time.
Back in October while we were in China, Isaac said, and I quote, "It feels like there is something coming through the roof of my mouth!" And there was, a tooth coming far behind the baby tooth that it SHOULD have pushed out. I was concerned but not freaking. We found a dentist that spoke English, had worked with children and had studied in the U.S.. BONUS! Unfortunately, he took one look at it and said, "I think we should wait." Honestly, I love many things about Japan but the health system and doctors are not in that list....not even close. I think they are trained to say that with ANY ailment you come to them with. And yet most Americans want socialized medicine...but I digress.
So, the dentist told us to come back in a month. Which we did and he wiggled the baby tooth again when we got there and lo and behold....NOTHING. So, he said, "Let's wait another month and see."
So we did. Which brings us to today. I originally scheduled this appt. on a late Friday afternoon so that Bryce could take the other two kids and I could just go with Isaac by myself. It is 45 minutes by train each way during rush hour....NOT FUN! However, Bryce ended up in the U.S. this week so I took all three kids on the train, during rush hour. We arrived and guess what? The dentist said, "I think we can wait a few more months...the tooth is still not loose." And I am thinking, "No freaking duh...there is nothing pushing on it to make it loose because the permanent tooth is already in BEHIND it!" I said, "How about we pull it?" He replies, "OK...Isaac, lay back."
WHAAAATTT???!!!??!!?
AND HE PROCEEDS TO PUT A NUMBING PATCH ON HIS GUM WHICH LED TO A SHOT IN HIS GUM WHICH LED TO HIM PULLING THE TOOTH OUT RIGHT THERE AND THEN WITH ISAAC COMPLETELY AWAKE AND ME WATCHING.....AHHHH!!!!!!!!
I paid my $25 and left the office still in a bit of shock and asking a very pale faced but calm child if he was ok...over and over and over again. Which he replied, "Yes," as blood is at the corner of his mouth and gauze is stuffed in his cheek. I think in the U.S. , child protection services probably would have considered it neglect or something on my part I am sure. He is OK though and seems to be less traumetized than me. We go back (again 45 minutes each way) tomorrow morning to have it checked on again.
Goodness...I hope that is one experience we don't have to experience again!
On a side note....I found out from a Japanese friend that this is how they take out Wisdom teeth, as well. Oh my heavens!
9 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment