Saturday, December 5, 2009

Catch up!

Things have been really busy since Halloween. We truly have been hopping and have not had a free weekend. Bryce traveled to India somewhere in there but only for 5 days. We also had Thanksgiving with several families from church and enjoyed some good old fashioned American style pigging out! We enjoyed ourselves and are thankful to the Meadows who hosted this year!

In December, we have two birthday parties, two class treats for aforementioned birthdays, a Christmas party for our neighborhood, a Christmas party for church, Tanner's preschool Christmas party which the whole family is to attend, Bryce's Christmas party for work, a Christmas concert which I am teaching songs to Isaac's class at school, and a piano recital. All require some type of treat, cake, main dish to be brought and all will be completed before we leave for Guam on the 19th of December. I think I am seriously going to lose it before then, though. I have been contemplating why I am feeling so crazed and think I have figured it out. This is the first year that I am the only one to do it all. In the past, I always had help from either Bryce or mainly my mom. Even last year, my mom brought all the gifts from Indiana to Hawaii with her and we ALL sat and wrapped the gifts Christmas Eve night after the kids went to bed. Also, last year, I opted not to do parties for the kids. This year, I am the one buying the gifts, not only from Bryce and I and you know who...but also my parents and other extended family members. I am wrapping (or at least plan to, I haven't actually gotten that far yet) all of the gifts, I am making all of the food and doing all of the preparations for the parties, etc. I am going to Isaac's school daily to teach his class the songs that his teacher and I chose for them to sing all the while dragging Tanner here there and everywhere. Man, am I grateful for a laid back third child. I think some days he spends more days with his I-Pod than with me but hopefully I haven't screwed him up for life. Bryce, while I know he desperately wants to help me, can't. He is so busy at work right now that we are just grateful if he makes it home by 7pm for dinner.


Anyways, enough of my complaining....here is a brief smattering of pictures from the past month. We hope you enjoy!
A beautiful sunrise in Nihon. We woke up to this last week. Gorgeous (if you don't pay any attention to the power lines in our back yard :0)! )
Cute picture of the kids.
My friend Machiko and her kids. We planned a special birthday surprise for her.

Having s'mores and roasting hot dogs in the backyard for Family Home Evening.

The fall colors this year have been beautiful in Japan. It is truly breathtaking to walk around and see the reds, golds and oranges on the Japanese Maples.

My Charlie Brown Christmas tree. A good friend of mine offered to pick up a live tree from Ikea for me. They are so cute and smell so good. I miss our real trees!

The birthday sign made out of Legos by Isaac for Brynn on her birthday party day. Can he get any sweeter?

Brynnie's birthday party table setting. She had three girls come (I had two older girls come to help me.) We did nails and hair and made bracelets together. I think the girls all had fun!

Brynn with her carrot cake. What kind of child likes carrot cake? Probably the same one that chooses to eat Grape Nuts instead of a sugared cereal. Definitely does not take after me! :0) Amazingly enough, all of the girls that were at our house liked carrot cake, too!

Here are the girls!

And last but not least, our Christmas party at the club with our neighbors. We had good food, had a chance to catch up and chat with our friends and Santa even made an appearance. 'Tis the season.....

3 comments:

susanb said...

Hang in there. I would love to tell you that it gets easier once they become teenagers but that would be a lie. I can tell you I am counting the days until Gabi has her drivers license. Yes, it will add another level of stress but we might have some hope of everyone arriving at the correct destination.

We love the pictures!

Sara said...

Phew! You are crazy busy. But the smiles on those darling kids' faces make it worth it -- right?

Good luck with everything!

leftygirl said...

The holidays are always hectic. Just remember to take time for yourself. If you are burned out and stressed then you won't have any fun over the holidays