Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Singapore


Singapore is quite the place! We were able to tag along with Bryce on a business trip that he had the week before we left for the US. We had been pricing tickets but they were WAY expensive and so I had given up hope. However, 3 days before we would be leaving, the tickets dropped to unheard of prices so Bryce told me to snatch them up. I think honestly he was worried about the childrens' safety. It was rainy season in Japan. Last year, barely any rain. This year, nothing BUT rain. From one week after the kids got out of school until the present day, most of the time it has been raining. Not just the trickle, could still play outside rain....No, it is the mind numbing, bruise your skin downpour. So, after spending soooo many days inside with three kids and nothing to do, Mommy was getting a little tense. Let's be honest....I was walking the walls. So we packed up and headed to Singapore. It was the first time I have flown to an unknown foreign country with the children by myself (Bryce's flight left on Sunday and we couldn't leave until Monday). We made it and the trip actually wasn't too bad--only 6 hours.


Tuesday, we headed to the Singapore Zoo. What an amazing place. It is in the rainforest and there were animals that we had never seen or even heard of before. They had quite the shows, amazing animal displays and it was a HUGE zoo, as well.



Apparently, while we have squirrels and raccoons in the US that get into the garbage...in Singapore, they have Kinkajou's!










Isaac's idea....but we had you going didn't we?








This was my FAVORITE exhibit. I think the zoo is the only one that has free roaming Orangutan. They would walk and climb very near to where people were. If you look closely, this mother Orangutan is holding a brand new baby. I don't know how old it is honestly but it can't be too old.



The next day, we headed to Underwater World with some friends. They are originally from India, living in Japan working for Lilly, also on the business trip with Bryce's co-worker. Anyways, their son is Isaac's age and we tagged along with them to feed sting rays and see the pink dolphins....yes, they are pink!Other than that, we enjoyed nice dinners out with Bryce each evening, swimming in the pools, going on a night safari and walking around and seeing all the shopping that I didn't get to partake in. OK seriously, Singapore would be to a shopaholic like Vegas to a gambler....WOW! But come on, with three kids, who am I kidding?
But they are three really cute kids, aren't they?
(sidenote....For the night safari, we went at 7pm on the night we were to leave. Our plane left at 1am and the kids needed to stay awake. We got there and took a tram through the park and learned about all sorts of animals. Then, after the tram ride, we walked to go see the tigers. On our trip in the pitch black rain forest, we were walking along quietly. All of the sudden, something rather large swooped very near Bryce's head and landed on a tree right by us. Bryce ducked and yelled, Brynn screamed and cried, Isaac hit the ground and Tanner started howling. I was the only one who stood and looked and said, "How cool is that, it is a flying fox!" Google it...it is pretty cool!)

No comments: